In the ever-growing world of podcasting, nailing your podcast name is key. It’s the first thing people usually see, and it should describe (in 5 words or less) exactly what listeners should expect from your show. But with the endless amount of potential names available, how do you know if you’ve chosen the right one?
A captivating and memorable podcast name will help you attract your target audience, and create a strong identity for your show. This article will provide a comprehensive guide to choosing the perfect podcast name.
With the right approach and a little inspiration, you'll be on your way to crafting a name that resonates with your listeners and helps your podcast thrive. So without further ado, let’s look at how to pick a podcast name.
How to Choose the Right Podcast Name in 5 Easy Steps
Follow the 5 steps below to choose the perfect podcast name for your show.
Step 1: Define Your Show’s Niche & Target Audience
Before creating an endless list of potential podcast names, you must first identify your show’s niche and understand your target audience. Doing so will help you create a name that accurately represents your content and appeals to listeners.
Why Is Knowing Your Niche Crucial?
A well-defined niche not only gives your podcast a clear direction, but it also helps you stand out in a (very) crowded market. As of February 2023, there are over 5 million podcasts worldwide. That’s a lot. So, how are you going to be different?
If you’re currently at the podcast-name-picking stage, you’ve hopefully already settled on a topic, identified your genre, pinpointed gaps in the market, and solidified your niche. All of this is crucial, as it will help you understand how your show will be different, and how you can craft the perfect name that highlights your uniqueness.
How to Tailor Your Podcast Name to Your Target Audience
Your podcast's name should resonate with your target audience, as it's often the first thing they'll see when browsing for new shows. Consider the following tips:
- Use familiar language or terminology: If your podcast focuses on a specific topic or industry, include words or phrases that your audience will easily recognise and relate to.
- Incorporate emotions or values: Choose words that evoke emotions or represent the core values of your podcast. This can help create an instant connection with potential listeners.
- Keep it simple and memorable: A short, catchy podcast name is easier to remember and more likely to stick in your audience's mind.
By tailoring your podcast name to your target audience, you’ll increase the chances of attracting genuinely interested listeners.
Step 2: Brainstorm a List of Podcast Name Ideas
Once you've identified your podcast's niche and target audience, it's time to start brainstorming podcast name ideas. You can use several creative strategies to create a unique and memorable name for your show. We’ve listed them below.
Strategy #1: Combine Keywords & Phrases
One effective approach is to combine relevant keywords and phrases associated with your podcast's niche. This can help potential listeners quickly understand your show's theme and content.
To do this, start by listing down the words and phrases most related to your podcast’s theme. For example, if your show is about female-owned start-ups, your keywords might be “female founders”, “CEO”, “entrepreneur”, or “women”. Then play around with the words. Put together different combinations to see what works and what doesn’t. If you’re stuck, try using online tools like podcast name generators to get more ideas and inspiration.
Strategy #2: Use Alliteration, Puns, or Other Wordplay
Creating a catchy podcast name often involves incorporating elements of alliteration, puns, or other types of wordplay. This can make your podcast name more memorable and attention-grabbing.
If you’re not sure what we mean, we’ve defined the different terms below:
- Alliteration: When adjacent or closely-connected words start with the same letter or sound (e.g., "Tech Talk Today")
- Puns: When the multiple meanings of words are exploited for humorous effect
- Other types of wordplay: Phonetic mix-ups such as spoonerisms, ambiguity, clever rhetorics, oddly-formed sentences, or double entendres, to name a few.
These techniques can help you create catchy podcast name ideas that not only stand out, but will also make a lasting impression on potential listeners. Just be sure to strike a balance between creativity and clarity. So, make sure your podcast name is still easy to understand, and relevant to your content.
Strategy #3: Incorporate Your Name or Personal Brand
Another approach to consider is incorporating your actual name, or personal brand, into your podcast name. This can be especially effective if you already have an established following, or your podcast's content is closely tied to your personal experiences and expertise.
Podcast name examples incorporating personal branding include:
Using your name, or personal brand, can help create a strong connection between you and your audience. It can also foster trust, and build credibility. This approach might not suit every podcast, however. Especially if you’re not already fairly well-known, and if your content focuses on a specific topic or theme rather than personal experience.
Step 3: Consider Using an AI Tool
As technology continues to evolve, artificial intelligence (AI) has become increasingly popular. And interestingly enough, it’s a great way of generating creative, unique podcast names.
AI name-generation tools use advanced algorithms to analyse language patterns and create names based on specific input parameters, such as your podcast's niche or target audience. These tools can quickly produce various podcast name ideas, offering the user a diverse selection.
There are a lot of AI name-generation tools out there, some specifically catering to podcasters. Including:
- Welder Studio - Podcast Name Creator
- Ausha - Podcast Name Idea Generator
- Namify - Podcast Name Ideas Generator
Are There Any Cons to Using AI-Generated Names?
There are some to be aware of, including:
- Lack of context: AI-generated names may not always fully capture the essence of your podcast, or resonate with your target audience.
- Can be overly complex: Some AI-generated names may be too complicated to understand, making them less memorable or appealing to listeners.
- Limited creativity: While AI tools can produce unique suggestions, they may not match the level of creativity and personal touch that human brainstorming can offer.
3 Tips for Using AI Name-Generation Tools Effectively
To get the most out of AI name-generation tools, consider the following tips:
- Provide clear information: Be specific about your podcast's theme, niche, and target audience. Doing so will help it generate more relevant and focused suggestions.
- Use with human creativity: Use AI-generated names as a starting point, and then add your own personal touch to create something more meaningful.
- Don't solely rely on AI: While AI-generated names can be helpful, don't discount the power of human intuition. Combine AI suggestions with your own brainstorming efforts, and incorporate feedback from friends and family.
By understanding the potential benefits and drawbacks of AI name-generation tools, you can leverage this technology to create a captivating and memorable name for your podcast.
Step 4: Choose Your Favourite & Check It’s Available
Once you’ve got your list of potential podcast names, go through it again and pick out the one that’s most relevant, unique, and special. A distinctive one will help you stand out in a crowded market, and it’ll be easier for listeners to find and remember your show.
Next, it’s important to check if anyone else is using that name. To do that, just search for the title on various podcast directories - like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts. You can take this further and also do a quick podcast name search on Google. So, type “[your chosen podcast’s name]” + podcast.
But that should not be your only step. You should also check domain availability for a potential podcast website, and look into social media handles that match your podcast name. Why? Consistent branding across platforms can help your audience find and follow your podcast more easily.
What if the Name Is Already Taken?
If you find your chosen podcast name is already taken, you should avoid using it.
Using an already-taken name can confuse your audience, as they might accidentally discover the other podcast while searching for yours. This could make it difficult for your podcast to gain traction and establish a solid listener base.
Plus, choosing a completely unique podcast name is essential for building a distinct brand identity. Sharing a name with another show may also cause legal issues related to trademark or intellectual property rights, especially if the other podcast owner has registered or trademarked the name.
In short, it may seem heartbreaking if your podcast name is already taken, but it’s best to let it go. Go back to your list of finalised ideas, choose another, and repeat the process.
Step 5: Test & Finalise Your Podcast Name
Before finalising a podcast name, remember to test it with your target audience and ensure it resonates with your show’s overall theme.
To do this, simply ask your target audience if your chosen podcast name resonates with them. Do they like it? Is it attention-grabbing? Would it entice them to click play? Would they change anything? You can gather this feedback by:
- Conducting surveys, or polls: Ask your audience to pick their favourite podcast name from your list of potentials. Is the one with the most votes the one you’ve chosen?
- Leverage social media: Share your list of podcast names on social media, and ask your followers for their opinions and suggestions.
- Reach out to your network: Ask friends, family members, or colleagues for their thoughts on your chosen podcast name. Do they like it?
Revisit your podcast's primary topics and goals, too. Does your name align with your show's overall purpose? From there, ask yourself if the name effectively communicates the essence of your podcast. And, is it easy for potential listeners to understand what your show’s about?
Ready to Choose Your Podcast Name?
Coming up with a podcast name isn’t an easy task. But by being mindful of your target audience, and your podcast's unique selling points, you can create a name that captures your show's essence while standing out in a crowded market.
Remember to be open to inspiration from various sources, including family, friends, and AI tools. Don't shy away from seeking direct feedback from your target audience, either.
By following the principles set out in the above article, you now know how to choose an effective podcast name that’s sure to resonate with listeners.